Saturday, July 18, 2009

I've been a "trifle" busy lately so this will be a "Quickie" post

Hi there! It's Saturday night and I decided it is time to post again. We have company tonight. Janette, Dan, Robyn, and Tory are here. Roger and Heather brought Robyn down and her parents came to pick her up. We had a BBQ at lunch time, then we played a game together. Tonight when it was time to make supper, I almost made a rice pudding. I have a top of the stove version that is quick and easy. I love it. Then, the thought occurred to me to make a Strawberry Banana Trifle, as we have people here to help us eat it!

Janette, Tory, and Robyn helped me make the trifle. We started by cleaning a package of strawberries, cutting up two bananas and dipping them in lemon juice, mixing up a small box of vanilla pudding (banana would have been fine as well), and cutting an angel food loaf into cubes. We layered the trifle in my beautiful trifle bowl in the following order. A layer of cake, followed by strawberries and bananas. I then took a jar of strawberry jam and spooned 1/4th of it into a small bowl and stirred it, then spread it on top of the fruit. We then put a layer of pudding (1/2 of the pudding) followed by 1/2 container (8oz) Cool Whip. Then we repeated each layer in order. We reserved a small amount of fruit for the top. We also sprinkled almond slices on top. Then we refrigerated it for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to combine. Then, we spooned some of the trifle into individual bowls and YUM! It was delicious. After, I thought maybe I could have splashed some of the Strawberry Orange Banana juice I have in the fridge over the cake cubes, but it wasn't necessary. You can play with the trifle idea, using different fruits, yogurt, soft jello, or basically whatever you are in the mood for. We called it Tory's Trifle, but Strawberry Banana Trifle would work as well.

Earlier this week, I made Quickies while David and his family were here. Quickies are just fun and easy to make. Ephiny helped me by measuring the peanut butter and cheerios. It is fun cooking in the kitchen with my family. Here is the Quickies recipe:

In a med-large saucepan combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup corn syrup. Bring to a boil. Do not overcook! When syrup boils, remove from heat and stir in 1 cup peanut butter. When melted, stir in 2 cups Cheerios and mix till cereal is coated. Drop by teaspoon onto waxed paper quickly before mixture cools and sets. I have stirred chocolate chips in with the cereal before. It makes a fun variation. You could also try different cereal, but I like Cheerios. I have used Multigrain Cheerios with great results. Very kid friendly recipe. Adults generally like them, too!

Well, it is hot here, still up above 80 degrees at 10:30. I think I might go sit on the porch for a moment before heading to bed. Hope all is well with you and yours. Love you tons! Keep posting!

4 comments:

  1. I love when you get a chance to post! You always post the most delicious things! They make my mouth water! The strawberry banana trifle is next on my list of things to try!! I sure miss you! I hope I can make a trip down to Manti soon. I missed the Manti Pageant. I'm quite bummed about that! Oh well, what can you do!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nuthin' like a wee bit o' trifle on a hot summer dee- or nicht.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wes,
    Did you have much trifle in Scotland? I don't make it much, only when I have company to help me eat it.

    Sweetie Pie,
    I miss you too! I love to read your blog. Keep it coming! Hopefully we will be able to see each other soon. Maybe a trip to Mimi's is in order. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a lot of trifle, but a little. The Scots put custard on everything, so we had a lot of that for pudding.

    ReplyDelete