Saturday, April 17, 2010

Am I lazy or chicken?

Well....today has not been productive at all! I am so embarrassed to admit this, but I am not even dressed for the day yet. I've had a headache, and absolutely NO energy. I'm feeling very run-down & burned out. I am so ready for this school year to be over with. We have started testing, and wow, how incredibly frustrating. Plus, I am fighting insomnia, depression, and CLUTTER! I need to clean house, do laundry, do yard work, plan a lesson and activity for Young Women's combined this week, go for a hike or walk, etc... SO MUCH TO DO! Yet, here I sit. I am so glad to have my recliner again! I love it. Then factor in the laptop and hmmm....no wonder! Have you noticed all the changes on my blog? I've enjoyed spending time with it again. If the music bugs you, you can pause it, forward to a song you like, or put your volume on mute. I got this idea from my friend Sweetie Pie. I love how her blog has a soundtrack to it, so I decided to create my own. I've also been looking for blogs to read and to follow. If you have any suggestions, I'd love your ideas.
I've also been thinking about salads. I'm excited for summer because I tend to eat a lot of salad during the summer. Do you have any recipes to share? I have two favorite recipes. One is Oriental Chicken and the other is Malia's Chicken Salad. I've been on a kick for the Oriental Chicken salad. I've made it a couple of times in the past month, and I have more coleslaw mix in my fridge. I must say, I prefer cutting my own cabbage, as I like a rougher cut. I got this recipe before my mission, when I worked at a deli for a few months. Malia's salad is from my years at Sharon Elementary. Malia was the secretary in the office, and this recipe came from her, hence the name. One warning...both salads are huge! I am posting the 1/2 recipe for the Oriental Chicken salad. I sometimes cut it in half yet again, depending on how many people I am feeding, or if it is just me, or if it is a main dish vs. a side salad.
Spring is here, finally. I have been so ready for it. I love spring flowers! I have seeds sprouting, and Gerber Daisies to put in the flower pot out front. I also have a strawberry hanging basket I'm hoping to keep alive. There is an empty flowerbed out under my front window. I might grow some vegetables in there, but I think I need to amend the soil first. Mom has daffodils along her front sidewalk. She moved her tulips in back to keep the deer from munching them down, but the deer found them anyway by jumping the fence.
Well, I'd better share my recipes and get moving before the day is completely gone. Love to you all.

Oriental Chicken Salad
4 cups cooked chicken
1 head cabbage
2 bunches green onions
2 packages Ramen noodles (chicken or oriental)
toasted sesame seeds, almonds, or cashews. I imagine you could even use peanuts.

Dressing:
1 cup oil
6 oz Red Wine vinegar
Ramen seasoning packets
1 tsp sugar

Wash and trim vegetables. Break up Ramen noodles. Toast seeds or nuts if desired. Combine chicken, vegetables, noodles, and seeds/nuts in large bowl. Combine dressing ingredients and whisk thoroughly. Pour dressing over other ingredients. Toss to coat. Can add chow mein noodles on top of individual servings for accent. I have also added mandarin oranges for a change.

Malia's Chicken Salad
4 Chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1 can Chow Mein noodles (I don't add these to the salad. I use them as a bed for my salad to rest on)
1 Head lettuce, torn in bite-sized pieces
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 cups red grapes, cut in half
Roasted cashews

Dressing:
2 cups Mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
Dash of garlic salt and seasoning salt
salt and pepper to taste

Fold everything together just before serving.

2 comments:

  1. You won't believe it but in the past three weeks I have made both jam (the delicious scum too) and bread!! I must be growing up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the music!!!! And I can't wait to try these salad ideas. I'm so happy spring is here too! So sorry you're in the middle of testing! Not my favorite time of year either! Hope to come visit you soon!

    ReplyDelete