Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Stewing over a Souper 1st Year of Blogging on a Snowy Night

So tonight is the one-year anniversary of my blog's creation. I spent the evening looking back at some of my posts, and to be truthful, I am quite impressed at how much I have blogged! True, it was not monthly, but I did blog more than I thought I might. One thing I am not surprised about is how many of my blogs have sweet treat ideas (after all, my brother Brent called me the queen of cookies not long ago). So, I am going to work on posting other recipes as well. I actually enjoy blogging. Sometimes it is challenging to come up with a blog-worthy idea, but that is part of the reason to blog.
This winter has been super snowy where I live. My friend told me tonight that he thought we had 18"-24" of snow out there on the ground, and the weather forecast says more snow is on the way. Maybe I will take a picture of it tomorrow, but I did pull out my Canada boots today, so I could make my way through that winter wonderland beauty. I like snow. I like winter. Yes, it can be frustrating and long. Yes, shoveling all that snow gets old really fast. Yes, it is slick, but I got ice grips for my shoes for Christmas. Nonetheless...even with all its problems, I like winter. I just do.
Today I was at school, working on putting my new classroom together so that it is presentable when the students return after the new year. From my new windows, I watched the snow falling all day long. I was glad not to be out driving in the snow. Our roads have been super-slick and snow-packed. I got quite a bit accomplished at school, although I do have to go back tomorrow. Then I think I will be finished. No, correction. I will be finished, even if the room is not completely ready. There is always something else to work on, but there is more to life than school. Shocking, but true. My teacher friends will understand!
When I came home, I was positive I could smell Cheese and Potato Soup. Only one problem. Mom didn't make Cheese and Potato Soup. She made World-Famous Stew instead. I like World-Famous Stew. It is fabulous on a day like today. I'm not complaining. I just really like Cheese and Potato Soup as well. Oh well, there will be more snowy days to come for Cheese and Potato Soup.
Well, it is late, Henry is sleeping, and I have much to accomplish tomorrow. I'd better call it a night. Here are two recipes I think are worth keeping in your recipe collection. They are both filling and delicious. I like to make them and eat them, especially when it is snowing. Enjoy and keep posting!

Cheese and Potato Soup
4 medium potatoes, diced
1 large onion, chopped (*I use 1 Tbsp. onion flakes)
1 qt. water
1/4 c. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese (I use cheddar)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. pepper

Combine potatoes, onion, and water in saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer until tender (about 20 minutes).
In heavy skillet, make a white sauce by melting butter, then stirring in flour, and finally adding the milk, whisking till smooth. Add white sauce to potatoes. Cook and stir until thick. Add cheese and seasonings. Serves 4-6.

(Note: this soup is good and filling. I like to serve it with my simple cornbread recipe from January '09)

Mom's World Famous Stew
makes 6 to 8 large servings

1-1 1/2 lbs good meat, cubed (sirloin tip meat preferred)
Saute meat until brown (add salt & pepper). Then roast meat in 350 degree F oven for 1 hour (pan covered) with the following added:
2 cans tomato soup
2 cans water
1 1/2 cup chopped onion (We use 1 Tbsp. onion flakes)
1/2 tsp. dry sweet basil
After 1 hour baking, then add diced:
4 medium potatoes
4 medium carrots
1/2 c or more of water
Bake 1 hour more, then salt and pepper to taste.

(Note: We now usually make this recipe on the stovetop in a large pan. We often make it with ground beef, which can be browned right in the bottom of the pan. On the stovetop, you can add all the ingredients at once after the meat is browned. We sometimes add other vegetables. Tonight's soup had celery in it, and I do have one brother that likes to make his with peas. Potatoes and carrots are traditional though. You can even make this in the crockpot. Just brown your hamburger first.)

1 comment:

  1. I haven't checked in for awhile, been busy! I too love winter and a good filling soup. AND I love you, too!

    ReplyDelete