Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Bread (again)!

I have a new favorite recipe for bread & rolls. They are called Air Buns. I posted about them last year, but they are worth another mention. They are easy to make if you have a tough stand mixer such as a Kitchen Aid. I love this recipe. The bread is soft & fluffy, especially when you follow the hint of adding cooked oatmeal or rice. (I found out about the oatmeal & rice at school. The cooks make most of the breads we eat for lunch, and they are always so good & fluffy. I asked them why & they shared their secret.) I made these as rolls a couple of weeks ago, and as bread just a couple of days ago. I plan on making another batch maybe tomorrow. I got 2 regular loaves of bread and it is already gone.

One of my Christmas presents was a cookbook/scrapbook. I am excited to put my favorites in the cookbook. I am not going to fill it full of recipes just to fill it up. I only want to put the recipes I use all the time in it. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a cupboard full of cookbooks. I can spend hours looking at recipes. I have really enjoyed playing around with some of my recipes, making variations of them, especially Shepherd's Pie and my fudge recipe.

I have really enjoyed my break from school this week. Most days I have stayed in my pj's all morning long. I love lazy mornings. I just wish Studio 5 had new shows on this week. I've been bummed out that they are reruns talking about fall fashions & Thanksgiving. Oh well. Much love to you all. Keep cooking!

Air Buns
1 1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. honey
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vinegar
Combine in a large mixer. Add 4 1/2 c. flour to the mixer, and sprinkle 2 tsp yeast on top of the flour. Use a damp kitchen towel over the top of the mixer (to keep flour from getting everywhere). Turn mixer on low until flour is incorporated, then turn speed up to medium & mix for 7 to 10 minutes. Do not skip this step. Turn off mixer. Let dough rest till double in size. I leave mine in the mixer & cover with a warm, damp towel until the dough fills the bowl. Mix 2-3 minutes. Shape as desired (rolls or bread). Place in greased pan. Cover with warm, damp towel. Raise till double. Bake at 350° F for 20 minutes (rolls) to 25-30 minutes (bread). Rub butter on top of warm bread. Enjoy!

I also add 2 Tbsp. wheat germ & 1 Tbsp. flax seed to my bread dough. (Both can be bought at your grocery store. Check the cereal aisle. My wheat germ comes in a bottle, but the flaxseed was in a bag. If I can find them here, you should be able to find them.)

Can be made with wheat or white flour.

For best texture results, Put 1 cup of the water in your blender. Add 1 cup (or so) cooked rice or oatmeal. Puree till smooth. Pour into mixer with the rest of the ingredients. I plan on trying it with mashed potatoes but I haven't yet.
Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick comment. I love the air buns recipe, but at times, it can be too sticky. I now have a favorite 90 minute bread recipe and a different roll recipe too. I will post them soon. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete